Project 4 * Let's Mobilize: What is Feminist Pedagogy?
- 1 Working group 2015-2016
- 2 Glossary: Mapping the concepts and ways of working for Let's Mobilize'
- 3 Published Workbook: 'Let's Mobilize What is Feminist Pedagogy?'
- 4 The organising of the mobilisation - administrative creativity
- 5 Subsequent invitations to workshops and talks
- 6 Forthcoming chapter 'Outside the Page' in issue "The Filmic Page", On Curating ZHdK Zürich
- 7 Forthcoming chapter 'Let's Mobilize Revisited' (working title) in "Decolonialism after the educational turn"
Working group 2015-2016
How we worked. Why it was created. The shared readings. The format of the meetings...
This glossary written by the Feminist Pedagogy working group and published in the workbook (see below), maps the ways and concepts of working with 'Let's Mobilize'. This glossary is an attempt to challenge and shift ways of organising a coming together at the art academy and the language used to describe it. It describes the context of the mobilization, the meaning of Feminist Pedagogies for the working group, explains the term mobilization, describes the formats chosen for coming together, the roles of the participants, the hosting, mobilization kit, language and economy.
[more here] Rethinking the production and dissemination of a book. How to invite others in the conversation? Make your own copy: Collective collating and binding. The distribution. Hanging poster-pages in the academy and turning the academy in a walkable book. Contextual distribution. Has been used as course reading in courses at the academy. Is downloadable online. Circulates through indy bookshops.
The organising of the mobilisation - administrative creativity
The organising practices are analysed in more detail in chapter  analysis. However I would like to leave it as 'submitted material', because I argue that organising to be recognised as work.
Subsequent invitations to workshops and talks
The different experiences of 'telling about' includes
- a presentation at Exploiting Justice, Symposium, Centre for Interdisciplinary Gender Research, University of Gothenburg, 2016
- What is an Artschool, Cheslea College of Art, London, 2016
- 'Doing Together', a workshop with students at Cologne University, Institute of Art and Art History: Feminist Arts Education series, 2017
- [I think there were more... Andreas, MC, Rose ... you did something at HSM? Any other occasions?]
Forthcoming chapter 'Outside the Page' in issue "The Filmic Page", On Curating ZHdK Zürich
This chapter discusses how the format of the publication determine its dissemination and related the modes of reading. The text contrasts Marcel Broodthaers' two-piece work 'Voyage on the North Sea' (1974) with the distribution of poster-size pages of 'Let's Mobilize: What is Feminist Pedagogy Workbook' across the building of Valand Academy. [more and better description needed...]
Forthcoming chapter 'Let's Mobilize Revisited' (working title) in "Decolonialism after the educational turn"
The working group took the invitation to contribute a chapter to this book as an opportunity to revisit the collectively authored "glossary" in the 'Let's Mobilize workbook' in which we explained the reasons and the aims for the mobilisation. This act of revisiting the original text allowed us to reflect with hindsight on our working together. By using the method of layered commenting, we preserved each authors voice instead of streamlining the writing into observations and statements each member could agree with. Here the collective writing of a text becomes a place for dialogue and disagreements. It builds on experiments of non linear writing done by Arno Schmidt ('Zettel's Dream', 1970) and Pierre Bayle ('Historical and Critical Dictionary', 1737).